Subject: Re: c-ares IPv6 support (preliminary patch)

Re: c-ares IPv6 support (preliminary patch)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2005-03-09

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, codemastr wrote:

> I think you might have misunderstood. The system is fully backwards
> compatible.

Oh, sorry for not checking my facts properly before replying.

> Well file based lookups aren't in the patch yet, however, I should have an
> updated patch today that does support file lookups as well as some basic OS
> independence (still no Windows support).

I've previously tried to find a good, small DNS server to rewrite/patch for
the purpose of setting up tests for c-ares, but so far I've failed. It would
be handy, but I guess we can live without one a bit longer as we've done quite
good this far...

> Also I had a question, maybe someone knows the answer to this. In
> /etc/resolv.conf, how does the sortlist apply to IPv6? I tried using google,
> and every single man page I found for resolv.conf includes the exact same
> sample: "sortlist 130.155.160.0/255.255.240.0 130.155.0.0" note the lack of
> any example using IPv6. Also, the man pages state that it uses netmasks,
> well IPv6 doesn't, instead you have CIDR.

I don't know, but I would assume that you'd simply use "0::ffff/64" style for
IPv6.

I don't think sortlist is very commonly used, and especially not for ipv6.

--
          -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-