Subject: Re: Next IPv6 Patch

Re: Next IPv6 Patch

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2005-03-30

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, codemastr wrote:

> I guess the patch got screwed up some how, in any case, I've rebuilt the
> patch and attached it.

Thanks, this applied nicely. You forgot the inet_pton.h header though, which
made the build fail when I tried a win32 cross-compile... It worked fine on my
Linux attempts though. Can you provide the header file separately for me? Then
I can test it and commit if it seems to be OK.

> Also though, if you have any suggestions on how to deal with the AF_INET6
> problems I mentioned, please let me know about how you think we should solve
> this...

This makes us hit a problem we've faced before in curl. We (or at least I)
want the public header files to be static (that is, they are not changed by
configure or otherwise depending on system characteristics) files that can be
installed globally and used by several platforms/architectures at once.

So, if we are to follow this, I think we basically have two choices:

1. Simply use #ifndef AF_INET6/#define AF_INET6 in there

2. Provide ares-specific versions of those defines: ARES_AF_INET and
    ARES_AF_INET6.

I think I personally prefer the latter one.

--
          -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-