Subject: Re: sockaddr_in6 on netware

Re: sockaddr_in6 on netware

From: Guenter Knauf <gk_at_gknw.de>
Date: 2005-05-17

Hi,
> On Mon, 16 May 2005, codemstr@ptd.net wrote:

> (CC'ing this mail to Gunter Knauf, who wrote the Netware adjustments for
> c-ares. Gunter, this thread started with this:
> http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/mail/c-ares-archive-2005-05/0015.sht
> ml)
hmmmm, cant tell you what's that - but I simply assume that our current SDK is somehow broken;
but this build should anyway not use IPv6 yet....

>>> The Netware build doesn't use configure, it uses a set config.h file
>>
>> Well that certainly explains it! Where can I find this file?

> in ares/Makefile.netware. It is generated completely by a range of echo
> lines.
correct.

>> Also, this does peek my interest a bit. I'm curious as to why we get this
>> warning for sockaddr_in6 but not in6_addr seeing as how sin6_addr (a
>> member
>> of sockaddr_in6) has type in6_addr...

> Odd. Gunter, can you shed some light on this?
yes: we (that's the Novell developers who write the libc and the headers, and me) are just adding IPv6-support to libc's BSD sockets - so currently there's no public available Novell LibC SDK out which contains these headers, nor the necessary new libc.nlm which is needed for the exported functions.
The former IPv6 support Novell had was done based on Novell's Winsock stack, but that would have required that I build libcurl with winsock rather than bsd. I was already considering that cause the OpenSSL port I have is also currently winsock-based; however we did recently chat about these issues, and we have already modified Apache2 build system to alternately build now with BSD sockets (uses currently Novell Winsock), and this forces Novell somehow to also modify the build system of OpenSSL; at least I was told that you cant mix up BSD with WS2 sockets in one app (on NetWare)...
on the good news I can say that I have libcurl already compiled with IPv6 support - however at the moment I'm waiting for news from Provo; and hey(!) I've just downloaded first SP4 build with brandnew libc, so lets see what we got, perhaps I can already try it....

Daniel, making the socket layer switchable for NetWare will probably touch every OS, but at least Win32;
with other apps I did something like
#define USE_WINSOCK 1
and then modified the #ifdef blocks a bit so that I can use mostly the WIN32 stuff regarding sockets depending on that define....
sorry, but I have for longer not looked at these parts of curl closely and dont know how its currenty soved - but I guess its with '#ifdef WIN32', just ask me if you have/need suggestions and I will take a look, or try a patch....

sorry for my less appearance - currently my customers, and all those other updates with Apache2 and PHP at first place, and all the PHP apps in second place, eat all my time....., argh!

greetz, Guenter.

best regards,

Guenter Knauf
Novell CNE, NetWare Developer