Subject: Re: [Newbie] some c-ares clarifications sought

Re: [Newbie] some c-ares clarifications sought

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2006-01-09

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, izimmerman@borderware.com wrote:

> I got the curl CVS tree, but unfortunately I am caught in the autotools
> snare :-( Having to install multiple versions of each auto*, one for each
> project, is bad enough;

Why would you need that? c-ares should not be particularly picky about what
versions you use with it.

> I am also on FreeBSD, meaning my m4 is not GNU m4, and I am afraid to
> replace it.

1 - you can't use auto* tools without GNU m4 properly anyway

2 - you don't need to *replace* it

> This is why I decided lately to avoid _any_ of the auto* (even autoconf,

That's your call. I'm finding it easier to remain very portable by hanging on
to these tools. They certainly have their quirks and ugly alleys you don't
want to walk down, but they do their jobs fairly well once you get it done
right.

> which is the most useful of them) and program to strict SUSv3/POSIX.

Lucky you!

> I mean, how long are we going to support broken legacy platforms, anyway?

As long as there are users who want to use them and who maintain the code for
them.

> izimmerman@ianbuild:~/work/bsn/scs/contrib/curl/ares$ ./buildconf
> configure.ac:23: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
> If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:41: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_SHARED
> configure.ac:60: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

> This might be because of the different m4, or because nobody ever tried to
> build the subtree separately.

It is *always* built "separately".

I would guess this is because you have installed libtool somewhere that
aclocal didn't find, so you got some unresolved macros in the configure
script. Set -I[dir] in your ACFLAGS_LOCAL variable and rerun buildconf. The
[dir] should be your libtool installation's configure macro dir.

*or* you picky a daily snapshot, since they have these scripts already
generated fine...

--
   c-ares -- my preferred DNS asynch resolver library