Subject: Re: API change between 1.4.0 and 1.5.0

Re: API change between 1.4.0 and 1.5.0

From: Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse_at_google.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:04:33 +0100

2008/2/15, Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>:

> I think this is a very bad thing to just change API calls this way.
> Now this change would require in each and every external code which
> comsumes c-ares that an ugly hack has to be inserted which detects the
> version number.
> IMHO this is not acceptable. We must think of an admin who has no idea of
> such changes and who just wants to compile PHP with latest dependent libs,
> and kaboom!

TBH, compiling libraries is not the job of a local administrator, it is the
job of whoever maintains the operating system he/she uses.

APIs change with time. We can either deal with the breakage (which is rather
simple to fix), or we can keep the old versions around forever, accumulating
an infinite amount of baggage over time. You cannot expect every new version
of a library to keep the same API around forever. (You can expect every new
version of a library that changes API/ABI to also bump sonames, though, and
you can expect API breakages to be documented. Both of these are done in
this case.)

and I hope here that its valid to pass in NULL for the missing vars, havent
> checked yet the functions.

It's allowed.

/* Steinar */

--