Subject: Re: IPv6 servers redux

Re: IPv6 servers redux

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:51:25 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Gregor Jasny wrote:

> I've had time to get the IPv6 patch working. The only thing we need to
> discuss is the setting of an empty servers list. Waht should happen in this
> case? Should the same mechanism be triggered as if the according option is
> not set? Or is the user responsible to save the "defaults" by calling
> ares_get_servers and push it back once he don't want to use the new settings
> anymore.

I would claim that setting an empty servers list should simply make the list
in the handle empty: no servers available to use. IMO, the ares_set_servers()
overrides whatever c-ares otherwise tries to figure out by itself. So yes, if
someone would like the list as it was before set_servers is called, he/she
would need to fetch the list first.

Have you tried this patch on a system without IPv6 support? At a first glance
it seems to use a lot of defines and structs that weren't around in the past.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se