Subject: CNAME following genericly

CNAME following genericly

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 12:46:21 +1100

Hi,

I'm a newcomer here and am doing to be using c-ares with opendkim. The
ares_parse_txt_reply API is going to be especially useful to me.

I've noticed that the ares_parse_a_reply and ares_parse_aaaa_reply functions
seem to have some CNAME following logic. I'm wondering in this expansion of
functions for DNS type parsing if this would be better moved/copied to a
channel option to follow the CNAME chains (up to a length) before doing a user
callback?

Alternately implement an ares_follow_cname(ares_channel channel, const
unsigned char *qbuf, int qlen, ares_callback callback, void *arg) function
with same argument meanings as ares_send except qbuf actually has the reply
start of the CNAME in it.

Lets lots I don't understand about the way c-ares architecture and DNS works
so if I'm missing the mark just tell me kindly.

Daniel