Subject: Re: request for review ares_parse_mx_reply

Re: request for review ares_parse_mx_reply

From: Jérémy Lal <kapouer_at_melix.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 00:21:01 +0200

On 17/04/2010 23:41, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Jérémy Lal wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to know if that patch is going to be included in the next
>> release, or not. Thanks for any clue :)
>
> Sure, I think the functionality fits in well among the other functions
> so I see nothing that speaks against it. In general however, I would
> rather like YOU (who bring the function) to tell us why it should go in...

Well,
apart from what you mention (fits in well) :
As the debian package maintainer of nodejs[0], I motivated its author to
move from udns, because that lib is not maintained and used as much as
c-ares is. The existing nodejs API allows A, MX, ... dns lookups, and
the parse_mx_reply function was just missing.
For the author of nodejs it's not really a problem to patch c-ares since
it comes bundled. However for the debian package it's way better to be
able to simply depend on the pristine c-ares library.

Jérémy.

[0]
http://nodejs.org
http://github.com/ry/node/