Subject: release and A instead of AAAA?

release and A instead of AAAA?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:26:08 +0100 (CET)

Hi friends,

I'm putting together a release tomorrow unless someone shouts loud here really
fast.

I learned that ares_gethostbyname() for a AF_INET6 address will in fact, if
nothing is returned for it, instead try to lookup plain A (IPv4) entries for
the given name instead (see ares_gethostbyname.c:host_callback).

Can we really justify that as anything else than a hack?

In libcurl we might start doing duplicate calls to ares_gethostbyname(), one
for AF_INET and one for AF_INET6 and that logic gives us duplicated A entries
at times! (I hope that our work in libcurl will get moved into c-ares later on
as a sort of first early attempt at a getaddrinfo() function).

--
  / daniel.haxx.se