Subject: Re: using inet_net_pton.c file in my own library

Re: using inet_net_pton.c file in my own library

From: Vincent Torri <vincent.torri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:01:54 +0100

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Vincent Torri wrote:
>
> I'm porting a library using c-ares on Windows XP. It uses inet_pton() but
>> that function exists only on Vista and later (from MSDN). I would like to
>> use inet_net_pton.c/h files in my library. More precisely:
>>
>> 1) I want to modify it so that it is specific to windows (so I will rename
>> the files, remove some include, maybe add some stuff, and rename the
>> functions)
>>

> The text in the source code is quite clear in this regard methinks:
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
> purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
> copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
>

> 2) the licence of my library can be read here:
>>

> An off-topic reaction is that inventing your own license like this isn't a
> good idea...

that's the licence we use in our project (my library is just one of them)

> But I'll avoid putting too much own my personal beliefs and religions in
> this mail.
>

> Am I allowed to do that ?
>>

> As the header of the file should tell you, we have already borrowed this
> code from elsewhere and the license and copyright used are not ours. Thus
> you're not really addressing the right persons with this question!
>
> This said I would personally say that yes you're allowed to.

ok, thank you

> If yes, should I add something to the copyright notice of inet_net_pton.c
>> and inet_net_pton.h ?
>>

> No, I don't think you should. You won't change the copyright ownership just
> because you edit the file. It will still be the product of Internet Systems
> Consortium and Internet Software Consortium.
>
> You can possibly add yourself as copyright owner for the parts of the
> changes that will transform it from whatever you start with to what you end
> up with.

i don't want to change the licence/copyright, I just wanterd to know if the
2 licences are compatible and if i can modify the source, while keeping the
copyright ,notice. I added Paul Vixie (ISC) and you as authors (I use a
structure and some define from c-ares code), I added the fact that the file
comes from c-ares.

Vincent Torri