Subject: Re: c-ares on iPhone

Re: c-ares on iPhone

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:27:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Leslie Linden wrote:

> On a related note, does anyone know why the lib curl that comes with Mac OS
> X doesn't link to c-ares? I haven't checked Lion yet but I'm quite certain
> the versions with Snow Leopard and before do not use c-ares.
>
> Has there ever been any inquiry about that from Apple?

Apple has included curl and libcurl with MacOS for many years but they have
never been in touch with us regarding anything. Their reasoning and choices
remain as mysterious to us as to everyone else!

But the big Linux distros that have tried to switch to using c-ares by default
(Debian and Fedora iirc) for libcurl have all suffered badly when people using
funny setups experience problems since c-ares doesn't completely function as a
drop-in replacement for the stock resolver so in a sufficiently large amount
of use cases it will cause breakage.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se