Subject: Re: c-ares on iPhone

Re: c-ares on iPhone

From: Patrick Meehan <patrick_at_ziplinegames.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 21:20:13 -0700

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM, William Ahern
<william_at_25thandclement.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 06:37:52PM -0700, Patrick Meehan wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM, William Ahern
>> <william_at_25thandclement.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Thanks for the etiquette lesson, Bill.
>>
>> If you had read my original post I'm sure you would have seen that I
>> did in fact google the problem and found the blog at
>> http://iphone.galloway.me.uk/2009/11/iphone-dns-servers/ to which the
>> post you found refers. We tried the patch to no avail. Hence my
>> question.
>>
>> IMO better to read people's original posts before suggesting they just
>> google for the answer.
>
> Apologies. I didn't see the July posts on the archive. I just checked the
> Aug posts without considering the roll-over. And when I searched on
> gmane.org I just skipped over your posts in the results 'cause I thought I
> had read them all. Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face.

Haha, no worries at all. Let me help you with that egg...

I do have a dev resource I could put on an iPhone patch for c-ares for
a day, maybe two. The deal is, troubleshooting iPhone's DNS
implementation and knowing where to patch c-ares is out of our gamut -
it's not something we'd tackle at all without help.

If someone who knows c-ares well would like to collaborate with us
directly we can handle the iPhone part. Just need some guidance about
what to look for.

If anyone wants to volunteer, email me directly - no need to go back
and forth here. I'm confident that if a c-ares expert is willing to do
some support for us we can get a fix in place that we can then share
with the community.