Subject: Re: Using relative names

Re: Using relative names

From: René Berber <rene.berber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 16:04:28 -0500

On 5/24/2012 3:24 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

>> Also on Windows but with a native program that uses c-ares (built with
>> MinGW), it doesn't work. So it must be something missing (BTW I have
>> ISC BIND running on Windows, with a split view, everything works fine
>> -- I can 'ping' with a relative name (w.r.n.), I can ssh w.r.n. before
>> I added resolv.conf (and after)).
>
> So, given all this - can you think of a suggested fix that would make
> things work more like the way you would have expected them from the start?

Having to add /etc/resolv.conf to Cygwin was unexpected.

The resolver that comes with Cygwin probably doesn't have a problem
because it uses Windows native resolver, which could be a fallback when
there is no resolv.conf, but I haven't researched this.

On the Windows native side, I'll have to see what's going on, I'm not
sure what is going on. There is no problem if I use a relative name
with Firefox, for instance, and 'host' is the one distributed with BIND.

--
René Berber