Subject: c-ares question: improper DNS server queried?

c-ares question: improper DNS server queried?

From: David Stuart <dstuart_at_counterpath.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:14:50 -0400

Reposting again after subscribing :)

===

Hello,

We have a customer that is complaining that (somehow) c-ares is getting
configuration information for DNS servers from disabled interfaces. I
should specify the customer is on Windows.

I don't really see how this is possible as the GetAdaptersAddresses and
associated functions are not supposed to return information about
disabled interfaces. And I tested those and it seems OK. But perhaps I
missed something.

So I'm looking for some ideas about how this could happen.

I'm particularly interested if any bugs in this area were recently
fixed, or any theories as to how this could happen in any case. The
scenario is, they statically configure a public DNS server, 8.8.8.8
(google's) on a bluetooth adapter. The adapter is disabled but somehow a
DNS query is sent to that address.

Thanks,
David

--
David Stuart, CounterPath
Email: dstuart (at) counterpath (dot) com