Subject: Re: ares_parse_txt_reply's output is not usable for DNS-SD

Re: ares_parse_txt_reply's output is not usable for DNS-SD

From: Tommie Gannert <tommie_at_spotify.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:00:48 +0200

2013/4/15 Patrick Valsecchi <pvalsecc_at_cisco.com>

> - ares_parse_a_reply: I have a feeling that rr_name is leaked if the
> code reaches lines 157 or 168

 - ares_parse_aaaa_reply: same suspicions

By a quick look at GitHub master, I think the code looks good.

The second if-statement seems to handle rr_name regardless of code path.

> - ares_parse_*: when looping over each records, there is no check that
> aptr+rr_len<abuf+alen before parsing the record (should be done just after
> computing rr_len).

I concur.

> - in ares_expand_name.c: line 150 should use the >= operator instead of ==

Given the contract of that function, I would say it's functionally correct,
but not defensive coding.

> Do you want a patch for all that? Who has the authority to accept patches?

I guess the overall "fixes are good" applies. Daniel is the headmaster
(that's actually funny in Git terms. I need more tea.)

--
Tommie