Subject: Re: ares_parse_txt_reply's output is not usable for DNS-SD

Re: ares_parse_txt_reply's output is not usable for DNS-SD

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:32:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Patrick Valsecchi wrote:

> In attachment, you find a patch against the current git that includes yours
> and the fixes for the other problems. I tested against my feature tests on
> Linux, but I use only parsing of PTR, SRV and TXT.

I pushed the commit 148c8e0353d93d7c0 now.

> There are no test included with the c-ares source code?

Unfortunately not. Ideally I would like a small and basic [DNS] server to rip
apart and write a simple test server with and then have test cases that can
specify how to respond, good or bad, and then write up a bunch of tests.

Of course, lots of functions such as the ares_parse_*_reply() ones can be
tested with fixed buffers sent to them and just checking that they return the
correct output.

I will greatly appreciate whatever anyone can help us with in this regard (as
well).

--
  / daniel.haxx.se