Subject: Re: Patch for fixing the slow DNS lookup issue

Re: Patch for fixing the slow DNS lookup issue

From: Jakub Hrozek <jhrozek_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:08:22 +0200

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 02:29:16PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2014, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>
> >I can't comment on the patch contents myself at all, because I'm
> >not a Windows developer, but I guess it would be easier for others
> >to review if the patch was a git-formatted one or a github pull
> >request since c-ares uses git and github anyway.
>
> I generally discourage github pull requests simply because it then
> only alerts those who subscribe to those on github (and it isn't
> easy for us to tell who got it or care about it) and it doesn't send
> the patch here for review.

Yeah, this is my pain point about github as well..if only there was a
way to securely enable sending all pull requests to a mailing list..but
unfortunately I couldn't find one that would also make it hard to
request password changes to be sent to the list.

> It is a bit tricky how to handle these sorts of patches that don't
> get any review/use from more than the submitter. I have no good
> solution for that, but I've applied such patches in the past only
> based on how they look.

I agree, maybe it would help if a unit test was also submitted?