Subject: Re: Timeline for a new c-ares release

Re: Timeline for a new c-ares release

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:17:02 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, daniel_at_poradnik-webmastera.com wrote:

> Integration of epoll with c-ares is a bit problematic, because
> current version misses some functionality.

I'd agree that it is less than ideal, but as I've most likely said here
before: I've built libcurl's event-based API and it can be made built to use
c-ares and it works quite well.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that we'll welcome improvements and patches!

> And last thing are problems with timer for query timeouts, c-ares does not
> allow to register callback for managing this timer. I did this by updating
> timer every time after calling function which initiates/terminates query
> (e.q. ares_query) and after calling ares_process_fd. This works for me.
> However dedicated callback should be more efficient, e.g. it could calculate
> timeout faster than ares_timeout.

I'm not sure we could make it much faster than ares_timeout, as that's exactly
the logic that needs to be done. If there's a faster way, we should just
implement that faster way in ares_timeout... Or am I missing something?

If anyone is building applications where there's a lot of parallel queries
within the same c-ares channel, ares_timeout of course gets fairly slow due to
its linear search through them. That can certainly be improved.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se