Subject: Re: Release coming up!

Re: Release coming up!

From: Brad House via c-ares <c-ares_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 09:56:54 -0400

On 9/25/16 9:46 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2016, Brad House wrote:
>
>> The *type* detection was not modified in any way what-so-ever by my patch set.
>
> That's what I'm saying. And until we introduce a way to figure out that type in the public header, we can't remove the
> build-time generation of the header.
>
> So yes, we can remove a lot of pointless defines and types but we can't remove the generated header just yet - which I
> thought was the major point we were dicussing.

Daniel,

Is this opposite day? It seems like everything I write is taken
as the *exact* opposite of what I'm saying.

I did NOT remove the build-time generation of the header.
I did NOT remove the build-time generation of the ares_socklen_t type.

You need proof?

  * The ares_socklen_t type is *still* detected by configure.ac via the
    CARES_CONFIGURE_ARES_SOCKLEN_T which is still a defined macro
    in acinclude.m4 after my patch is applied.
    Please see the below (lines referenced are after the patch is applied):
      configure.ac : line 524
      acinclude.m4 : line 1758
    This clearly has NOT been removed.

  * ares_build.h.in is still converted by autotools into the distributed
    ares_build.h using this build-time configuration logic via
    AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([ares_config.h ares_build.h])
    in configure.ac
    Pleases see the below line after the patch is applied:
      configure.ac : line 12
    This clearly has NOT been removed.

None of what you are saying you are concerned about is changed in any
way what-so-ever by my patch.

-Brad