Subject: Recognizing I'm a crappy c-ares maintainer

Recognizing I'm a crappy c-ares maintainer

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 22:26:28 +0100 (CET)

Hi friends,

(Triggered by a frustrated comment in a recent pull request.)

I started c-ares in October 2003 when I took the latest ares release at that
point and ran with it. I wanted asynchronous name resolving added to curl and
this was the best library I could find to do this with. It just wasn't perfect
and its maintainer back then wasn't very interested in the improvements I
deemed necessary.

I found a mail of mine from as early as 2005 when I first expressed my
inability to spend enough effort on this project and I appoligized for that.
I've repeated something similar to that statement every few years since then
and today I'm doing it again.

I've got too much on my plate for me to chew it all, so I tend to go about my
daily business in a sort of most-important (based on my own personal
preferences) order and I rarely get down to c-ares issues then. This has not
improved over the years, even if I periodically try to make an increased
effort.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just explaining my situation and why I hope others
step up where I fail.

Thanks,

--
  / daniel.haxx.se