Subject: Re: ares_init.c:1614: error: 'for' loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode

Re: ares_init.c:1614: error: 'for' loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 12:17:43 -0400

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 10:37 AM Brad House <brad_at_brad-house.com> wrote:

> I was not sure what Daniel is aiming for - c89 or c99.
>

> I always aimed for c89 to remain functional even for the most stubborn legacy compilers, as that's where we draw the line for curl and I've always wanted c-ares to be a viable option for curl builds on all platforms curl can build on.
>
> Also, because I've never seen or felt any strong benefits in switching over to C99.
>
> But as I've been reducing my presense and maintainer activities in c-ares, I don't want to suggest or impose that my opinion is much stronger than anyone elses'. It's a discussion that could be worth having if someone thinks we should go there.
>
> Yes, c89 is still the goal. It appears this was missed in a PR pull review at some point. This code has been around a long time for iOS, but it was just recently allowed to be used on MacOS too

If you like, I can set you up with an account on my PowerMac. You can
test software on it.

I need your SSH public key since it is hanging off the internet. I'm
in a dynamic block, so you will connect with:

    ssh -p 1522 bhouse_at_71.179.5.32

When my IP changes you'll have to ping me for the new one.

I keep the box around for testing. A bunch of folks have accounts on
it. It's no big deal to me.

Jeff