Subject: Re: --enable-tests configure option?

Re: --enable-tests configure option?

From: Brad House <brad_at_brad-house.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 21:35:26 -0400

>> The problem is c-ares, though a C library, relies on gmock, a C++11 testing framework. We cannot guarantee there is a C++ compiler or that it supports C++11 or higher.
> I don't have experience with gmock.
>
> I think you need some sort of testing. Right now, I cannot test with
> Asan, UBSan, Coverity or Enterprise Analysis. That is a major handicap
> for the library.
>
> Can you re-write the self tests and avoid the dependency?
>
> Jeff
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly.  There's a fully functional test suite.  No, it won't be rewritten to not
depend on gmock.  I was just explaining why it wasn't enabled by default.  If you look at our Travis-CI builds, it runs
the test suite under ASAN, UBSAN, clang static analyzer, and valgrind.