Subject: [off-list] autotools [Was: [Newbie] some c-ares clarifications sought]

[off-list] autotools [Was: [Newbie] some c-ares clarifications sought]

From: <izimmerman_at_borderware.com>
Date: 2006-01-10

Ian> I got the curl CVS tree, but unfortunately I am caught in the
Ian> autotools snare :-( Having to install multiple versions of each
Ian> auto*, one for each project, is bad enough;

Daniel> Why would you need that? c-ares should not be particularly picky
Daniel> about what versions you use with it.

Not when you install it from a tarball. Bootstrapping from CVS
is different. I had this problem with other projects before,
that's where the rant comes from.

Ian> I am also on FreeBSD, meaning my m4 is not GNU m4, and I am afraid
Ian> to replace it.

Daniel> 1 - you can't use auto* tools without GNU m4 properly anyway
Daniel> 2 - you don't need to *replace* it

Yes, now I know about the environment trick from Alex.

Ian> This is why I decided lately to avoid _any_ of the auto* (even
Ian> autoconf,

Daniel> That's your call. I'm finding it easier to remain very portable
Daniel> by hanging on to these tools. They certainly have their quirks
Daniel> and ugly alleys you don't want to walk down, but they do their
Daniel> jobs fairly well once you get it done right.

Let me tell you, I probably know more about them than you. That's not
gloating at all - just saying that when I call them hopeless I know
what I'm talking about.

Daniel> As long as there are users who want to use them and who maintain
Daniel> the code for them.

Let them also maintain the _build_ complexity needed, then.
I.e. well-behaved replacements for POSIX and friends, and a header file
that selects the platform at compile time, defines a platform macro
if necessary, and thus switches on the replacements.

Daniel> *or* you picky a daily snapshot, since they have these scripts
Daniel> already generated fine...

Yes, this is what I did for now. I don't know what I'll do when I
want to contribute; probably I'll just find a Linux box.